G4 Digest, Vol 49, Issue 10, Re: [G4] FW: G4 Disk Capacity Limit - Real or Logical?

shopdog at mac.com shopdog at mac.com
Tue Sep 23 07:41:05 PDT 2008

This list is great!  Thanks everyone!

Mike:

Thank you for the additional information.  Before I read your most
recent post, I chickened out and used Intech's Hi-Capacity Extension,
but may end up doing the firmware adjustment in the future, because
the firmware adjustment is not something that needs to load with each
system boot.

Does this firmware adjustment work for OS 9 also?

johnnyg:

I had given some thought about snaking cables out of the computer
chassis, but your comments brought some issues to mind that I had not
considered.  I'm hoping to keep these drives in the machine, but may
need to at least put the power supplies out of the machine if the
power supply issue is too daunting.

Luke:

Before your post I had not considered that I could leave the Zip drive
in place, and simply move it's power connection to an additional hard
drive.  That way I won't need to upgrade the power supply, and I can
fit 5 hard drives in the machine.  I never use the Zip drive, but
would want it available just in case.  Shutting down the machine,
switching the power back to the Zip drive, and then powering back up,
just to use the Zip drive, would not be too much of a hassle
considering I barely use the Zip drive.

As to the ATX power supply, the adjustments are merely soldering 2
wires, which I think I could do.  I reviewed the post at xlr8yourmac,
and I think I can do it.  My question is really then, do I need to put
another fan in the machine, and if so, where?

As to the "hackintosh", I actually bought (and have now sold) some
components to start putting the entire G4 into a generic case, but
then balked at the price.  If I can stuff five of the hard drives I
have into the existing case for the cost of a $70 card and a $30 dual
drive bracket (and not need to upgrade the power supply), and then can
do the same with another old G4 for the cost of another $70 card and a
$30 dual drive bracket, I think that will be the way to go for me.

shopdog