[G4] Anyone here???

Brian Deuel briandeuel at lavabit.com
Mon Sep 29 18:13:26 PDT 2008

On Sep 29, 2008, at 9:01 PM, Amir 'CG' Caspi wrote:

> Brian and all,
>
> 	So, this brings to mind an important question.  I acquired a
> Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB card, the one with DDR2 RAM; it is a PC card.
> There does not appear to be an equivalent Mac card with these
> specifications.  On themacelite.wikidot.com, there is a single
> firmware
> for the DDR2-memory card, and it was hacked together by a user (Arti).
> 	Has anyone used the Arti firmware to flash a DDR2 Radeon 9800 Pro
> from PC to Mac?  I may have fried my card using this firmware, because
> it's no longer even recognized in the AGP slot, so I'll be trying to
> resurrect it in a borrowed PC... hopefully that will succeed.
> 	Had I gotten a non-DDR2 card I probably would have had more
> success since all of the other firmwares are for DDR (not DDR2)
> cards...
> this one is unique, which either makes it very easy or very
> difficult to
> get to work (and so far, I'm leaning towards very difficult).

I used the Gotoh reduced firmware on my 128meg DDR card. I was sure to
pick up the most generic 9800pro I could get and I snagged one from a
craigslist poster for $25. The card later ground out on my Sonnet's
heat sink, but only fried the AGP port. The card itself survived, and
I got a good lesson in replacing Mac motherboards and securing cables :)

A quick peak tells me that the forums at the Mac Elite are still down,
which is unfortunate. The actual firmware modders used to post on
those forums and could probably help you, or even custom-modify the
firmware for you, as they did for my Geforce 6200 UALG (with mixed
results, I'll add).

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Brian