[G5] Partitioning

Cyril Blanc blanc.cyril at wanadoo.fr
Sat Feb 19 03:12:03 PST 2005

HI
I have a large raid 0 made with the Rocket raid 1820 A and 6 10 000 RPM
I use Softraid to partition the RAID instead of the software delivered
with the card because Softraid is much faster ;-)
You can use Softraid with just 2 SATA
It's a great software ! (www.softraid.com) sales at softraid.com

concerning partitions : please find after my organization :

The G5 2x2 160 GB (disk 1) is dedicated for audio and video it has 3.5
GB of memory.
  I use QLSO platinum and my samples are on a RAID 0 made with the
RocketRaid card + Softraid + 6 x 10 000 rpm Raptor disk (random read of
1024 K segments thruput 345.089 MB/sec)
  I have :
  - 2 Lacie FW 800 disk that I only plug when I do the backups
  - a Sony camera on the FW
  - an extra Sata 250 GB in the G5 (disk 2)

The architecture :
  One volume for the system (disk 1)
  One volume for the swapfiles (disk 2)
  One volume for the updates I have done (disk 1)
  One volume for the Logic songs (disk 2)
  One volume for the video footage (disk 2)
  One volume for the EXS24+ VSL guitare + Kontakt lib (disk 2)
  One volume for the QLSO platinum library (Raid 0)
  a few empty volumes

Best

Cyril