[G5] Buying RAM

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Sun Jun 12 07:18:41 PDT 2005

I have a new Power Mac G5 with 1 GB RAM and I am seeing an incredibly
large number of pageins, so it looks like I need more RAM.

I have heard many tales of woe on various OS X lists about bad RAM causing
problems, so I want to make sure I get the right thing. I wouldn't be
writing this if I hadn't recently moved to Germany, since I know of all
the great places to shop for Mac RAM in the states... So, I have 2
questions:

Anyone know of a German or European computer shop that will guarantee Mac
compatibility and has a good return/replace policy in the event of it not
working in my G5?

Short of that, what are the most important things to look for. I know the
PC3200, 400 MHz, 184 pins etc. But Apple's specs don't say anything about
latency. CL3 or CL2.5? Does it even matter? There is a shop in town with a
pretty good price on CL2.5 1 GB sticks (beter than anything on Ebay or any
of the web-based mac stores I have found in germany).  Here is a link:
<http://arlt.com/shop/warenkorb.php?subm=get_it&artnr=1010189>
Will this do the trick?

Thanks for your help,

ALlan