Partitioning iMac into 9 and X ---- Update

Jane Sprando janesprando at msn.com
Sun Jun 8 21:43:31 PDT 2003

I have been talking to Apple Tech Support for several weeks about installing
OS 9 on a partitioned hard drive on my iMac. I have talked to a LOT of
people at Apple! <G> And I have partitioned the hard drive at least 3 times,
according to whomever answered my call.

Last Tuesday I was told that I needed to buy Apple's 9.2.1 CD and that it
would definitely work to install OS 9. (I mentioned that I did have an Apple
9.2.1 CD, but was told that the it probably wasn't cross platform for
different machines.) Good thing I asked if I could return it if it didn't
work ---- and those conversations are recorded! I ordered, it arrived, and
it didn't work! But the invoice says that software is not
returnable.........

So I called again ---- I think they recognize my voice and hand me to the
newest tech person! <VBG> The very nice tech person walked me through trying
to install OS 9 from the CD and was amazed that it didn't work. So he asked
the Super Tech person to help me and guess what?????  OS 9 cannot be
installed on my iMac without 10 being on the drive, too. (Defeats my
purpose!) The store where I bought this Mac mislead me because I
specifically asked for the model that would allow installation of just OS 9
on a drive.

I told him that I wanted my money back, but he cited Apple's policy of no
refunds on software. And I suggested that someone listen to the recording
where I was promised that I could get a refund. HAH!  My credit card will be
issued a refund!

Now the question ....... should I keep the iMac partitioned, even though OS
9 won't be on its own partition? Or should I just put it all back together
as 1 hard drive?

Jane

PS Interesting development with the 9.2.1 CD. I read the Read Me about
installing the program, then I went ahead and started the installation. A
message box popped open that said that OS 9 could not be installed on my
computer and to read the documentation on the CD for further info. So I
opened the PDF file on CD and got another message that says the file could
not be opened because the boot volume was locked and Adobe would quit. This
message was consistent on both copies of the 9.2.1 CD's. So ......  I
couldn't even read about the installation and any problems! Sounds like
Apple's own Catch 22.