[HM] 8mm film, to digital, to firewire

Bob K itheshopper at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 2 17:22:11 PDT 2003

Since you seem to have a digital camcorder, your best bet is to use it
for digitizing
your 8mm video's.  Usually you can use the camcorder just to digitize,
(connect
output from 8mm camcorder as input to digital camcorder, and output of
it to G4).
If for some reason that won't work for you, just re-tape your videos
from the 8mm
into in your digital camcorder through a direct old fashioned A/V (or S
Video)
connection onto a MiniDV tape, and once that's finished, play it into
your G4 as you
would do with any new video taken with the digital camcorder this
second step will
absolutely not introduce any additional quality loss.

If you were to choose the projection method your videos would suffer
significant
quality loss.  Via the Digital camcorder quality loss will be minimal,
if any, whether
you do the recording into,  directly through or via the DV tape.
That's because
once digitized additionalcopying is loss less.

As for lost frames I am less certain, but my limited understanding of
the process tells
me that lost frames, if any, would occur in your G4, independent of any
of the three
methods used.  To minimize the possibility make sure that you have the
Internal HD
space to do the recording, as external HD MAY be too slow even with a
firewire
connection.

Another alternative would be to buy an analog to digital converter (I
have the Formac
Studio TVR, but there are many different ones on the market) play the
video into
the converter from your old 8mm  camcorder (or player) via regular A/V
connection
(preferably S Video if your old camcorder has it) and Firewire from
your converter to the
G4.   This would be completely worry free, with the only loss to worry
about would be the
$200 you pay for the converter.  (Formac's Studio DV - without TV
capabilities - is
has a street price around $240, Dazzle's Hollywood DV Bridge around
$200.  Note that
these units also work the other way round, converting digital to analog.

Bob