[MacDV] Re: DVD player/TV crops my DVD-R

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 1 20:53:57 PST 2003

On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 10:04 PM, Jim Asherman wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 10:40  PM, Steven Rogers wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 08:08 PM, Erica Sadun wrote:
>>
>>> Rectangular pixels are wider, not taller.
>>
>> Rectangular pixels on the TV are taller than they are wide - you can
>> see that on some Sony TVs.  That's why an image that's ready for the
>> TV looks wider on the computer - the TV "squishes" it up.
>
> Uh I thought.. that the image looks wider on the computer because of
> displaying the rectangular pixel perspective in a square pixel
> environment.

Right - so long as you remember that there really isn't necessarily a
"rectangular pixel" - it just means that the TV doesn't have the same
number of dots per inch horizontally as it does vertically, while the
computer monitor has 72 DPI both ways.

> Obviously the TV does not "squish" it's own native signal. It simply
> displays the rectangular pixels correctly . It is the computer that
> makes it look funny and has to convert the picture to square pixels in
> order to display it properly,

Well, its a matter of perspective whether the TV squished or the
computer is stretched. The information in the picture is the same - the
dots are just closer together horizontally on the TV. I tend to think
of the TV as a "squished" picture because years of working the computer
environment makes it seem like only a loony lunkhead would make a
display standard that has different horiz and vert resolutions . . .
I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time  . . .

SR