Duping from Tape or DVD

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat Apr 5 13:33:37 PST 2003

> From: Larry Dodge <ldodge at eznet.net>
>
> I made a 2 hour DVD and a VHS tape of some home movies for someone
> using
> a  Panasonic desktop recorder.
>
> They now want another DVD copy but they recorded over the original DV
> tape so they only have the DVD and VHS Tape.  Which would be better to
> record from the DVD with more resolution but compression or the VHS
> tape
> with less resolution.  I have always wondered about this.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you made a DVD based
on some DV tape, and then made a VHS of the footage as well. Is that
correct?

If so, then what you DEFINITELY want is to extract back from the DVD
you made. It just so happens that less than a month ago a shareware
tool came out to do EXACTLY this job (extract DV back from the
home-burned DVD). Let me see if I can find it ...

AHA! Found it! DVDxDV is the name, it is specifically for taking the
files off an iDVD-coded DVD and converting them back to either DV or
other Quicktime format:

http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/11026

_Chas_

Lee Gomes of the Wall Street Journal, 24-Jan-03 , commenting on Apple's
growing arsenal of hardware, OS and software that is clearly superior
to anything in the Windows world: "It's like someone forgot to send
them the Resistance is Futile memo."