[MacDV] Re: OT: 12" PowerBook and 1GHz 17" iMac owners need to see this

Juan M juanm at mac.com
Sat Apr 5 14:10:23 PST 2003

Many times, the stated 'max' for RAM is based on what was being
manufactured at the time the PowerBook came out. I know some early
iMacs could actually have more RAM than the stated 'Max.'

Also, I think the state Max may also be the amount that Apple will
technically support but the computer may actually be able to see more.

I also recall the good old LC pizza box Mac not being able to see 12mb
of total RAM even though you had installed it, all it could see was
10mb of total RAM. i forget but perhaps it had 4 on the motherboard and
if you 'maxed' it out using two 4-mb chips it would not see the total
of 12 installed but only 10.

so who knows?

what causes a maxing out of RAM - the ROM? the OS? or ??

Juan