[MacDV] Re: Suggestions for sound capture at wedding

Neville Thomas nevillet at clear.net.nz
Fri Apr 11 12:24:35 PDT 2003

On Saturday, April 12, 2003, at 01:40  AM, Mark O'Brien wrote:

> My problem with trying to edit two video streams in iMovie is to keep
> the sound in synch. Last year I video-taped my son's band at an event.
> I put one camcorder on a tripod and left it running. I used another
> for closeups and different angles. Using the tripod camcorder for
> continuous sound, I found it excruciatingly difficult to insert
> cutaway shots from the other camcorder in synch with the music.
>
> I saw a demo of FCP where there seemed to be more than one way to do
> this, e.g. via time code, via slip-edit (IIRC), and maybe a couple of
> others.

Precisely
That's why (if you can use 2 cameras) its good to capture the sound on
a static camera (using a radio mike or lead to the camera) and camera 2
can be mobile.
Camera 1 then has synchronised sound and FCP or FCE can edit in
synchronised shots from camera 2.
I don't know hoe iMovie could do this, but haven't used the suggested
plug-ins.

Neville Thomas in Auckland NZ