[MacDV] Re: Suggestions for sound capture at wedding

Fabian Ius Fabian_Ius at edu.yorku.ca
Fri Apr 11 20:36:28 PDT 2003

>> I'd think you would just extract the audio from the stationary camera
>> and use it throughout (having turned off the audio on the video
>> tracks). Or am I missing something?
That is what I do.

>I did that, and locked the stationary camera's video to the audio. But
>then I tried to superimpose the cutaway camera's footage in the
>timeline, alternating stationary distance shots with close-ups and
>different angles. Getting those cutaways synchronized is the problem.
Yes, it is not "easy", but I have done it for weddings, school concerts, community events, a fashion show (with singers and show hosts who had lengthy speaking parts), a music video for a friend who released a CD, family videos, etc., and all products
are delivered in synch.

a nudge here and there, and a lock here and there, and voila.

>Try it for yourself if you have access to a second camcorder, and you'll see what I'm talking
>about.
As I have said previously, I have done it in iMovie2 since if first came out, using 2 and 3 cameras, and a miniDisc recorder.

I guess, like a lot of other things in life, it takes practise.

And as others have mentioned, it would be easier in FCP, FCE, Premiere, and probably Montage, but until I spend more time with one of those programs, iMovie suits my needs.

Of the above mentioned editing programs, I only own Premiere6, but things are not going so well in Classic using a G4 PowerMac FW800 (OSX only), so I have to revert to my G3 Powerbook for editing with Premiere using OS9.