[MacDV] Re: Installing Pioneer AO5 in G4 FW800

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Mon Apr 14 15:41:18 PDT 2003

> Re: Installing Pioneer AO5 in G4 FW800
> From: "Fabian Ius" <Fabian_Ius at edu.yorku.ca>
> On Monday, April 14, 2003, at 08:14  AM, "Fabian Ius"
> <Fabian_Ius at edu.yorku.ca> wrote:
>
>> By the way, anyone else have a problem with the AO5 tray hitting the
>> inside frame just behind the mirrored-door?  I had to re-open the G4
>> case several times to adjust the optical housing so the tray would
>> eject properly.
>>
> Glad you got it working. I had a problem aligning the doors & never
> could get it set up right. I wound up putting the A05 as the master but
> in the bottom space and then lightly sanding the corners on the tray so
> it would open!
> Joan

Yeah, chalk up another breakthrough with Apple's "Mirrored Drive Door"
expansion bay design.  If you want to use any drive other than the stock
Apple optical drive you have no choice but to mount it in the bottom bay and
hope it fits.

And forget about installing a DVD-RAM drive in there like I was planning on
doing...  Just like Apple to make something ALMOST useful (as far as desktop
computers go anyway).

- Mark