[MacDV] Re: Firewire problem

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Mon Apr 14 20:22:00 PDT 2003

On 4/14/03 9:44 PM, "Gordon B. Alley" <galley at texas.net> wrote:

> I have never been able to successfully capture DV to my external 7200
> RPM FireWire drive, nor export from an iMovie project stored on that
> drive.
>
> Part of the problem is that some Canon DV  camcorders (like my ZR 40)
> will not import or export properly if the drive being used is on the
> same FireWire bus. This is documented in iMovie help. I haven't
> actually tried it with OS X 10.2.5 yet, but it was still a problem
> with 10.2.4. I believe it is actually a problem with the Canon
> FireWire implementation. Hopefully this is fixed in recent Canon
> models.

Hmmm...  Yeah, I know that Apple acknowledges some issues with Canon
camcorders not being able to capture to or playback from a FireWire drive on
the same bus, but I've even had that problem with a Sony camcorder.  Granted
it's a 2 year-old FireWire drive without the Oxford 911 bridge on a
PowerBook G3/500 -- but anyway, that setup never worked.  Haven't tried it
on my G4/500, though...

I would think the iMac in question probably has the same FireWire chipset as
my PowerBook (wait, which iMac model again -- got RAM and system info, but
not processor and speed), and therein lies (most of) the problem -- immature
FireWire hardware.

2 cents anyway.

- Mark