[MacDV] Re: Disk fragmentation

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Tue Apr 15 08:29:13 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, April 15, 2003, at 10:00  AM, Mark M. Florida wrote:

> I guess I meant that Macs are more prone to damaged directories (most
> common
> disk-related problem), and DiskWarrior is the best at
> fixing/optimizing the
> directory, and therefore eliminating most problems --

I agree with that, unless you want to count the time I was having clock
trouble and all my files were being created in the early part of the
last century.

> In Mac OS X?  I know it's simple to do in Mac OS 9 with the Finder,
> but OS X
> doesn't give you the same basic formatting option from the Finder.  Is
> it
> possible to reformat a single partition of a multi-partition disk with
> Disk
> Utility?

Yes, you have to use Disk Utility. It allows you to do some operations
at the "device" level and others at the  "volume" or "partition" level.
So you can reformat a single partition.

Erasing (formatting) a disk is one feature that was moved out of the
Finder in OS X. You wouldn't believe how long it took me to figure it
out the first time I wanted to reformat a zip disk in OS X.

-Mike