Disk fragmentation

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Apr 16 21:55:07 PDT 2003

> From: Matthew Guemple <mo.og at verizon.net>
>
> Why are we saying that Norton is Bad? It's saved my bacon more than a
> few times, and having a full de-frag/optimize function is pretty great.

There are three reasons why people say bad things about Norton
Utilities:

1. Since they were bought by Symantec, it seems to take *at least*
three point releases before the thing is actually safe to use. See
Norton 4.04, Norton 5.03, Norton 6.03 for reference. By contrast, Disk
Warrior hasn't received a serious update in YEARS (long before OS X was
even *available*) and yet continued to work flawlessly on drives even
after they've been converted over to OS X. Symantec is generally blamed
for

2. Numerous people (including myself) have experienced severe problems
when the product was installed on our hard drives. I have had this
problem both in OS 9 and OS X. Both times it was due to the instability
associated with the extensions the program inserted into the system.
The actual "Norton Disk Doctor" and "Norton SpeedDisk" apps appear to
work properly, but the extensions (one of them ironically called
CrashGuard) play havoc with the stability of the operating system. This
has resulted in everything from minor corruption to severe data loss.
Not good for a utility.

3. The inability of the product to catch and fix all problems. Norton
Utilities has always worked fine for me *when used exclusively from the
CD,* but compared to DiskWarrior it simply overlooks problems the other
product finds. When you add in the fact that Norton is more expensive
than it's competitors, well it's just not looking that good anymore.

_Chas_

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most people
use Windows is like saying that all other restaurants are inferior to
McDonald's.