[MacDV] Re: Disk fragmentation

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu Apr 17 06:33:59 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, April 16, 2003, at 11:55  PM, Charles Martin wrote:

> There are three reasons why people say bad things about Norton
> Utilities:
>
> 1. Since they were bought by Symantec, it seems to take *at least*
> three point releases before the thing is actually safe to use. <snip>
>
> 2. Numerous people (including myself) have experienced severe problems
> when the product was installed on our hard drives. <snip>
>
> 3. The inability of the product to catch and fix all problems. <snip>

I've yet to find one that does, that's why its good to have more than
one disk utility available.

To add to your list:

4. There first versions of Speed Tools (the disk optimizer) were a bit
flakey and were reported to damage many drives (though I never had a
problem with it personally). IIRC the problem was associated with the
optimization process being interrupted for whatever reason.

5. They were very slow in supporting HFS+. I think that earned them a
lot of ill-will and gave TechTool Pro a chance to gain market share.

6. The snowball effect. It seemed like the ill-will from (5) changed
Norton from being the utility everyone seemed to recommend, to the
utility nobody could recommend, to the scapegoat of the utility world.

-Mike