[MacDV] Re: Buying a New Drive

Darby Lee Darrow darrowspammagnet at cox.net
Fri Apr 18 05:24:51 PDT 2003

>On Thursday, April 17, 2003, at 08:35  PM, Pauline Zvejnieks wrote:
>
>>I've just had a disastrous crash of my second internal IDE drive
>>and am looking to replace it.  Can anyone offer their opinion on
>>which drive brands they've had the best luck with.
>>
>>Also, I'm going to splurge on a fire wire enclosure for a second
>>drive for backup purposes.  Any opinions on the various enclosures
>>available out there would also be appreciated.
>>
>>Pauline Z.
>>

>I like Seagate drives the best. Maxtors seem to be good too.
>  Lacie makes good enclosures but don't overlook OWC (otherworld computing.)
>Jim

I would caution against using OWC. I ordered a FW Drive from them but
Retrospect would not back up to it claiming it to be "bad media" and
Disk Warrior would not rebuild the directory. I have another FW disk
which does allow Retrospect and Disk Warrior to work. I also tried
Retrospect and the OWC hard drive with a different computer and got
the same results.

I tried for almost 3 weeks, via email and phone to get a RMA from
OWC. I finally got one and sent it back with the specific problems.
OWC told me that they would specifically check the drive with
Retrospect and Disk Warrior. They reformatted the disk and sent it
back to me ignoring the Retrospect and Disk Warrior issue.

When I finally got ahold of a service Rep Eric I told him that I
wanted my money back. He told me that they would send me a new drive.
I sent the old one back and they once again just reformatted the old
one and sent it back.

I once again told them that I wanted my money back, but they told me
that they had a 30 day money back policy, even though the majority of
the 6 weeks was due to their lack of service and false promises, they
refused to refund my money.

I have seen many people talk about how much they like buying from
OWC, but I would never buy from them again. Since that time, I have
heard from many people on this list and other forums that have had
similar problems with OWC.

I recently bought a Wiebetech drive dock

http://www.wiebetech.com/products.html

Now I can purchase a bare drive at about $1 per gig, do a video
project and when completed, archive the whole drive, and install a
new one for the next project.

--

Darby Lee Darrow
darrowspammagnet at cox.net