[MacDV] Re: Buying a New Drive

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Fri Apr 18 07:44:59 PDT 2003

On Friday, April 18, 2003, at 07:24  AM, Darby Lee Darrow wrote:

> I tried for almost 3 weeks, via email and phone to get a RMA from OWC.
> I finally got one and sent it back with the specific problems. OWC
> told me that they would specifically check the drive with Retrospect
> and Disk Warrior. They reformatted the disk and sent it back to me
> ignoring the Retrospect and Disk Warrior issue.

I haven't had any problems with drives (or anything else) from OWC.
That includes using Retrospect and Disk Warrior. Of course that means I
haven't had to deal with their tech support other than having to get a
firmware upgrade for one of the first Firewire drives they sold. I'd
have to agree that they dropped the support ball in your case.

Just out of curiosity, do you still have that faulty drive around? If
so, have you tried reformatting using Apple's Disk Utility? I always do
this with new drives, which may be why I haven't seen a problem. The
reason I reformat them is that it seems to improve portability and
reliability (I carry a lot of my data around on Firewire drives).
Though it can cost you a bit in raw speed, the difference is negligible
IMO.

-Mike