[MacDV] SIGS Off-Topic

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Fri Apr 18 15:31:14 PDT 2003

On Friday, April 18, 2003, at 02:37 PM, Illovox Media wrote:

> If it's in his sig, it's fine and not to be commented upon.

Who made up that rule? Every netiquette guide I've ever seen advises
avoiding controversial sigs, not that sigs are inviolate bastions of
free expression.

If you want to express a political opinion, pick a forum that is
*designed* for political discussion - where the members have signed up
for that.

> Nothing wrong with taking issue or with a group dealing with multiple
> camps of opinions either.  The whole point of this democracy is
> freedom of speech.

I don't think that's the *whole* point.

> Get it?  If not, go live in one of these countries we liberate, before
> liberation.  Then you'll welcome Charles' or anyone else's free > speech.

Free speech has nothing to do with this issue, since free speech
specifically has to do with the *government's* ability to outlaw ideas.
"Free speech" does not mean that one can say anything anywhere anytime.

SR