Disk fragmentation

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Fri Apr 18 15:40:28 PDT 2003

> From: csearles at t-online.de (Chris Searles)
>> The only exception is
>> that they don't recommend using PlusOptimizer on disks where
>> journaling
>> is turned on. What the heck is "journaling"?
>
> As an even more general question: I've read a couple of times that Mac
> OS X
> volumes don't even require "optimizing" in the same way that volumes
> under
> prior Mac OS systems did. Something about UNIX taking care of such
> problems
> by itself. Can anyone else on the list confirm this?

Going for a twofer!

1. Journaling is a UNIX trick. It makes the hard drive keep a written
log of all the changes that have been made. This prevents directory
corruption since the system compares its records and correct anamolies
automatically. There's a lot more to it than that, but that's
essentially it. It's built-in but deactivated on current Mac OS X
10.2.x volumes. It is claimed that using it produces a small
performance hit, which makes sense to me. Might be unnoticeable to all
but the savviest users.

2. Mac OS X volumes can and should be defragmented periodically. If
this were a "pure" UNIX OS, it would use UFS or some other filesystem
and the problem of fragmentation would be reduced. However, as we still
use HFS+ as the default filesystem, we still get disk fragmentation.
It's not anywhere near as big a deal as most people make it out to be
... defragging once every couple of YEARS (or after every MAJOR system
upgrade) would be sound advice for most "normal" users. Audio/Video
people, Photoshop pros and other people who use large chunks of disk
space frequently would likely want to defrag more often.

_Chas_

"[Commercial] radio is absolutely the enemy of music. They  are my
sworn and mortal enemy, and I will have nothing to do with them." -
Elvis Costello, March 2003