[MacDV] Re: I inquire about Radius Telecast Manuals andDiagrams.

Tim Selander selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Sat Apr 19 23:08:19 PDT 2003

> Hi Tim,
>
> Wanting to know the appropriate set up.  There seem to be various connectors
> on the videovision studio telecast card that take what...dav connectors?

Basically, it uses XLR for analog audio I/O and BNC for component video
I/O -- stuff you find on a BetaSP deck. In addition it gives you
composite and SVideo I/O and two or three flavors of digital audio I/O.

> Direct lines to a fast scsi card?

There's a fat system cable that runs from the box to the Nubus or PCI
StudioVision card in the Mac. It's not a scsi connector on the Telecast.
If you don't have that cable, or the partner Nubus/PCI card, I'm afraid
your Telecast is a boat anchor.

> Where to find such cables?
Now? No clue!

> What is the
> best drive set up for this card?  One fat internal?  2 internal, 1 for
> system, 1 for data?  External raid?  (Don't know if I like the idea of
> raid.)

You need a scsi card that can support external raid for online quality.
Off line could be run on an internal disk, I imagine.

> Does premiere require any special plug ins for operation with the
> set up?

As I remember, yes. It was very fussy to get set up and working. Once
working, I protected the system folder religiously so I wouldn't have to
re-setup. It's been so many years, I can't recall everything you had to
install, but there were Premeire related bits as well as system
extensions.

> Will this set up work with VTR's?  Or is for total offline use?

Yes, it would control a pro deck through the Mac's serial port. Both
assemble and insert edits. Very high end stuff.

> What was the original software.

?? Just the installer stuff for Studiovision and Premiere. Then there
was the deck control software and the RAID software.

> What's the performance capacity on an 8100
> with a g3 upgrade?  Will it work witha  G3 upgrade?

You could get broadcast picture quality, no problem. But the size was
640x480 -- not standard NTSC. A lot of stations would reject that
output.

> What system did it work
> with?

I had it on a version of OS7.

> What versions of quicktime?

Don't remember

> What conflicts?

Fussy, as stated above. You want a bare bones system with only the
radius extensions loaded.

> What improvements came
> with the PCI version?

Don't know

> Where can I find a manual or diagrams for proper hook
> ups, particularly of the cards.

Basically, cable Telecast and Studiovision card together. Then the I/O
is standard stuff -- play deck output to the Telecast inputs, Telecast
outputs to the REX deck inputs. Mac monitor that plays back video during
editing goes on the Telecast's Mac monitor connector. SCSI array to SCSI
card.

> How do I run a second monitor with the set
> up?

I never did, but you should be able to put the second monitor on the
Mac's output.

> Or will it run a monitor and an NTSC monitor off the Telecast box?

Yes.

Good luck!