A-D conversion in DV camcorder... any good?

Sean spenney at stemnet.ca
Sat Apr 26 06:00:23 PDT 2003

I was reading in MacWorld magazine how the audio in ports on the Mac may

not be as high quality as third party options (although the article
doesn't quantify how much the Mac audio-in ports are inferior) and now
I'm wondering.

I'm using my old, trusty Beige G3 with the built-in A/V card running OS
9.2 and sometimes OS X 10.2.5. I want to digitize some of my old LP's.

What I've done in the past is to connect the turntable to a pre-amp and
into the audio-in RCA jack of the Beige G3 and record it directly to
Peak or something like it.

If the analogue-digital converter in the Mac is inferior to others,
would the following setup produce a better result:

Connect the turntable to the pre-amp's stereo inputs.
Connect to pre-amp's stereo outputs to the analogue stereo inputs on my
Sony DV camcorder.
Connect the DV camcorder to the Beige G3's via a third party FireWire
port.

Now, I can play the LP, have Sony digitize it, and have iMovie import it

*live* and then have iMovie extract the audio from this new clip and
save it as an AIFF file ready to be massaged and burned to a CD-R.

My question: Will the Sony camcorder digitize the incoming analogue
signal better than the Beige G3's A/V card?

Sean