A-D conversion in DV camcorder... any good?

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Sun Apr 27 10:02:18 PDT 2003

Here's the way I worked around the pre-amp requirement for recording
from a turntable via a Griffin iMic.

I have an old Lafayette turntable that is connected to a Sony
component stereo system. The system amplifier has inputs with an
internal pre-amp for a phonograph turntable.

This stereo system includes a dual cassette tape deck that will
record from whatever other source is selected (Video audio, CD,
Turner, Phono). Because this is a component system, all of the
components except the turntable are interconnect by line-level audio
cables. What I did was insert some Y-adapters into the cabling from
the system amplifier's Tape outputs to the cassette deck's inputs. I
connect the iMic to these Y-adapters, and select Phono as the system
audio source. So I'm picking up line level audio from the turntable.

I started using this procedure before the Griffin Final Vinyl
application was available. It can reportedly be configured to record
audio from a turntable connected directly to the iMic. I isn't  very
practical for me to try the direct connection with Final Vinyl,
because my iMac is across the room from the stereo system, and the
turntable's cables are only about 4 feet long (and if I used
extension cables, I'm afraid that the low-level turntable audio would
be more susceptible to noise). I use a 25-foot stereo audio cable to
carry the line level signals to the iMic on my iMac. It is also
convenient to be able to listen to the record on my stereo while it
is being digitized on the iMac.

--Gordon

--
Gordon Alley  <*>