[MacDV] Re: MAC OS X Panther?

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Sun Apr 27 10:49:54 PDT 2003

Wow! I'm not that cynical about Apple's motives and the evolution of
Macintosh computing. This is the normal evolutionary process toward
faster and multithreaded multitasking 64-bit computing. Five years from
now it will be toward 128-bit computing. Ten years from now it will be
toward 256-bit computing. It's called "progress" and "innovation".

You only have to pay UPGRADE prices to pass from 9 to X software, not
NEW prices. The same will be true for Panther 64-bit software versions.
The software companies are working for us all. It's not like they don't
have employees who need to get paid from the upgrade revenue. What are
you thinking? This stuff all comes out of nowhere and no one's blood
sweat and tears?

I do not think I am a sucker when Apple offers a new faster computer
and operating system. Where the hell did that come from? How can you be
so cynical about Apple's motivations? Apple employees are among the
highest quality human beings on the planet. They are truly gifted
individuals who sincerely work as hard as they can to give us new world
class products every year. Have you gone nuts Matthew? Or are you just
having a bad money year?

I wish Macs cost less. That's why I wait for refurbished models after
they've been end of lifed each time I move up the food chain almost a
year behind the curve. I'm still happily poking on a 500 MHz Cube in a
dead silent room. But I finally pulled the trigger on a refurbished
dual 867 because I wanted one last model with power and expandability
that still works in native 9 mode (just in case). On the other hand, I
may be tempted to spring for a new dual 970 as soon as a year from now
or maybe even this Fall just because it will be so super fast and
bitchin' to behold. But it's OUR CHOICE Matt. We don't have to jump
into the next model pool any sooner than we want to and/or can afford
to spend the money and the transition time.

I personally enjoy the challenges that new hardware and software
present. To call two or three year old computers "Junk" is really a
misnomer. My Cubes' are turning 3 this year (have two). They run dead
silent. They are NEVER going to be junk. They are ALWAYS going to be
the crown jewel of all of my Macs because they are DEAD SILENT. Nothing
— no amount of additional power is ever going to replace the SILENCE I
hear from my Cubes.

"Classic" is supported in Jaguar and the current Macs. It may not be in
Panther, I don't know. "Native" is not supported in the current PM line
but still is in the new iBook line. Big difference. Almost everything
in 9 runs in Classic mode. Very little doesn't. Only the poorest
written code won't run in Classic. That's why you can still buy
refurbished or used Macs that do, all the way through the first trio of
MDD models that do. I don't see a problem where you do.

What is your problem Matt? : ^ ) (kidding)