[MacDV] Re: MAC OS X Panther?

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Mon Apr 28 09:12:34 PDT 2003

On Monday, April 28, 2003, at 10:32  AM, Steven Rogers wrote:

> But performance isn't all about arithmetic operations as the FAQ at
> Anandtech seems to imply, its also about how the data gets moved,
> instruction fetching, etc. The processor also probably won't be just
> an exact copy of the G4 with 64 bit registers, it will probably be a
> more capable design. So I think the Anandtech FAQ is a little overly
> pessimistic.

I think the purpose of that article was really to compare two CPUs
where the only difference is the bit width. So for that, I thought it
was pretty accurate.

But you're right, the 970 won't be an exact 64 bit copy of the G4. If
that were the case we'd all be very disappointed.

If anyone wants more info on the kind of things Steven is talking
about, "Inside the IBM PowerPC 970"
<http://arstechnica.com/cpu/02q2/ppc970/ppc970-1.html> has quite a bit
of information, though it may be a bit heavy in the geek-speak
department.

-Mike