[MacDV] AE Stupid question...probably

Ron Woodland woodland at infowest.com
Tue Apr 29 13:50:46 PDT 2003

More information is needed -- frame size, frame rate, codec used,
quality level, and data rate settings, etc.  There's no free lunch
here.  Uncompressed video is upwards of 30 MB of throughput per second.
  Obviously compression and real-time decompression is how video
streaming is being done now.  The local hard drive can deliver
full-frame, full-motion video using some compression, the artifacts
from which are noticeable to the trained eye.  For CD-ROMs, DVDs, and
web streaming even more compromises in quality have to be made.  Newer
codecs, such as Sorenson and the MPEGs (1, 2, and 4) have changed the
trade-off curve, but there are still trade offs to be made.

Ron Woodland
St. George, Utah