MAC OS X Panther?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Apr 29 22:03:24 PDT 2003

> From: Matthew Guemple <mo.og at verizon.net>
>
> My comment about software was only that to run clean in OSX I had to
> get a bunch of new software. I really don't like having to run in
> 9/classic, since that is the only thing that gives me problems crashing
> hanging etc.

Classic ... hanging and crashing?? Unheard of! (honest!)

You should NOT be having that problem. Classic should be nearly as
stable as OS X itself.

Check MacOSXHints.com ... somwhere they have a list of the extensions
you can safely turn off in Classic because OS X is already doing the
job. The list is HUGE and your Classic startup time will drop to around
15-20 seconds if you do it. For me, Classic is so solid and stable that
I leave it on in the background (it goes to "sleep" if not used) all
the time.

>  But I did like 9 as well, compared to anything else.
> My Acrobat point was only that Ver 4 had a "print pdf" extension, that
> could be utilized by quark, and 5 does not.

It doesn't? That's odd, it does on mine. I'll have to go look and see
if it's an extension (as in system) or Xtension (as in Quark) that does
that, but I'm definitely going direct from Quark to PDF via Distiller
by simply choosing "Create Adobe PDF" from the print dialogue.

> I wish I had heard of Font Reserve... right now I'm using Font Agent.
> Now that it's stopped crashing and hanging, I quite like it better than
> ATM.

That's a product I will have to look at again someday.

_Chas_

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most people
use Windows is like saying that all other restaurants are inferior to
McDonald's.