[MacDV] Re: Formatting my hard drive

Gary Fujihara fujihara at subaru.naoj.org
Wed Dec 3 11:22:59 PST 2003

On Dec 3, 2003, at 11:25 AM, Paul Williams wrote:

> The first of the two drives i was going to partition 3 ways: OS, apps,  docs.  The
second drive i'll probably partition 50/50 for video files and scratch. What's a good size
for a scratch disc? 40, 50 gig?

I would have to agree with Mark and James about not partitioning.  OSX and apps occupy
the entire volume of one internal drive, video projects (including PS files), occupy the
entire volume of another internal drive, backups and archiving occupy 2 external firewire
drives.  Partitions are too restricting...if you estimate conservative, it is really a hassle to
correct (backup, reformat, restore) - besides, OS and app files usually don't change in
size (although configuration and preference files may), and although you may continue
to add more OS and app files, this does not affect fragmentation or performance.  Video
files don't change either, as FCP uses pointers to captured media in your productions,
and scratch files are just that - scratch: they disappear after their temporary use.  My
$0.02...of course...

This is like the old boxer vs briefs debate: some enjoy the looseness of boxers, while
others need the support of briefs...not gonna talk about freedom of Kramer's choice

Fujmon