DVR-105 & OS X support (was Office Max CenDyne/Pioneer DVD Burner)

Sean Collins sean at hogheaven.com
Wed Jan 22 05:52:04 PST 2003

Just to clear up some misconceptions here, neither the DVR-105 or 104
is "technically" supported in ANY version of OS X, but they work
fine.  I have full 105 support in 10.2.2.

If you examine the code in the PioneerCDR.device-plugin for any
version of Jaguar, you'll see that the ONLY DVD-R drive listed is the
DVR-103.  The reason being that all 3 drives (103,104,105) are
functionally the same, simply upgraded for speed.  Thus no reason to
change the controlling code.

It's up to the drive itself to detect media and adjust itself
accordingly.  My guess is that's why Pioneer had to produce firmware
patches when 4x media first appeared.  Older drives would attempt to
burn at 4x, and fail.  The patched drives are now self-limiting to 2x.

As an aside, the 2x speed is proprietary to Pioneer, and the 104/105
will burn non-rated (1x) media at 2x.  I do it regularly.