Features in new Mini DV camcorders

Michele Rice riceramblz at mac.com
Fri Jul 4 05:03:50 PDT 2003

Hello,

I stupidly left my camera bag in a taxi in Prague last week. Greatest
loss was my videos of that wonderful city. But now I am in the market
for a new Mini DV camera and I have not been paying much attention to
the camera feature threads, as I was perfectly happy with my Canon
Optura PI.

Luckily, baggage insurance will cover some of the cost. I am favoring a
Canon (Optura 20) again, since I still have some accessories, such as
the external mic, batteries, charger, etc.  But I have considered
switching to a Sony, since it seems that people recommend them the
most. Unfortunately my favorite camera salesman who always helped me
make the right camera purchase has moved out of state.  I got virtually
no help at a store yesterday.

OK, my questions -- Does anyone have a Canon Optura 20 and/ or a Sony
TRV 70 or TRV 80? Does the cassette compartment open on the side or the
bottom?

Why would I want mpeg features if I am aleady video-ing in mini DV?

What would I use Blue-tooth for? Why would I want my camcorder to talk
to my cell phone anyway? This seems like a ridiculous feature, but then
again, I am still jet-lagged, in a midieval mindset,  and can't see
much into the future........

Is the pop-up flash worthwhile on the Sonys? (I am not impressed with
the flash on my Nikon digital still camera)  If I got a Sony with an
additional hot shoe, will it work with my Canon external mike?

How important is it to be able to video and capture still on a memory
card at the same time? (I have been happy just freezing frames from my
video)  Would the higher still megapixel still shots be a significant
improvement at 1.3 or 2 megapixels or would I be substantially better
off if I waited until the technology improves? I also have a 5
megapixel Nikon still. How fast does the still camera feature capture
the picture in the camcorder?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I want to get a new camcorder asap
so I can begin to edit the video I DID come back with (Russia, Siberia,
Warsaw).

BTW, Denver's MicroCenter (microcenter.com) is offering Snow 40 GB
iMacs @ $499 after $150 rebate. Great price for a student computer!

Have a nice holiday weekend!

Michele Rice