[MacDV] Re: OT: AAC > MP3

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Mon Jul 14 14:30:57 PDT 2003

Charles Martin wrote:

>> I also believe that if the record companies embraced Apple iTunes store
>> model people's interest in peer to peer sharing would die a quick death
>> since consistent high quality files at a reasonable price would compete
>> against files that may be virus ridden and of dubious quality.
>

> You see? You and I are actually in agreement on this, I think. You
> just misunderstood me, that's all.
>
>>   This
>> would be much more cost effective for the copyright holders than the
>> big stick approach they seem to favour at this time.
>

> I completely concur with this.

I do not think so. I don't favor the "big stick" but I don't think these
corporate sites are going to hit the mark unless they A: pay attention
to the older stuff and : FEATUre
the young acts. Recently I saw CD's by more or less unknown bands for
like 7.98 at Target. That's not bad for an impulse buy.
 The other week I downloaded "The Hipshake" by Slim Harpo.  Where would
that fit in here? I don't think ol' slim even got paid when he was alive
which he is no longer.
You are just never gonna get a corporate store with a wide and deep
enough selection.
Jim