Recycling CDs and DVDs

RRSounds at aol.com RRSounds at aol.com
Mon Jul 21 03:17:58 PDT 2003

"DVD's Meant for Buying but Not for Keeping"

Article in NY Times about new format for DVD that will self-destruct in 48 hours after opening the package. (you must be registered, but it's free)
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/21/technology/21FLEX.html?pagewanted=2&th

What a waste.

I know its sometimes heartbreaking to make a 'coaster' but we've all done it. And there are those CDs that are old and scratched and unplayable, and of course the hundreds of AOL CDs we have gotten in the mail.
But to create yet another format, and one which requires trashing *every* disc almost immediately after use?

I just returned from the 'Rathaus' (City Hall) here in Recklinghausen, where I noticed a garbage can labeled "CD," along side a paper and 'unfall' (assorted garbage) can.

I know there are those on this list who will ridicule any attempts by society to responsibly take care of their waste, and who feel it is pointless and a waste of time and energy (and their tax dollars) to make the effort to do so, but I personally applaud those governments who are taking the initiative to at least attempt to reroute what would otherwise end up in our burgeoning dumps.

Unlike most of the US, countries in Europe have active programs to recycle glass (green, brown and clear), paper and metal trash, along with batteries, tires and automobiel oil and now, it appears, CDs and DVDs. Just in time.

But it's tough to keep up with the demands of a consumer society, I guess.

David Reaves
Recklinghausen, Germany