Ranting about FCP prices

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Wed Jun 18 12:26:49 PDT 2003

Matthew said:
> So basically you are able to get FCP4 for $350 and since I bought 3
> a   while ago it's going to cost me $399? That doesn't make sense.

You were/are just as free to get the $350 academic price as Kunga.
Previous ownership of FCP 3 was not held against you :-)

I haven't met anyone lately who thinks Apple has logical pricing, but
I don't fully agree with this thread ranting about FCP prices.
Except for one brief blip, FCP 4 costs $499 academic/individual
purchase, and an upgrade is $399.  Not a great deal, but logical.
There was a very brief period, during which a few people got a
special deal, which saves them $50 off the upgrade price.  That
abberation didn't last long, and few of us were even aware of it,
until reported on this list.  $50 hardly pays for Kunga's gas.

I can see being upset about missing out on that brief pricing quirk.
I can see being upset that a few people got a really good deal.  I
wish I had bought Netscape early, too.  But I am arguing against the
idea that this pricing quirk is anything like a standard Apple
academic pricing policy on FCP 4.  Last week, last month, next month,
what we saw and can expect to see, is FCP 4 academic at $499, and an
upgrade at $399, for individual academic purchases.  The bizarro
purchase/upgrade combo low price came and went in about two weeks,
although valiant hunters/long-distance drivers like Kunga have
tracked down a few surviving members of that supossedly extinct
species in more recent times.

I've been using FCP 3 for about a year, and have been happy to have
it.  Upgrading to FCP 4 will cost me $399.  I will be happy to have
it, too.  A few jokers recently got FCP 4 for $350, with various
delays and hassles, and most are paying $499.  I am not going to
switch to a PC over this.

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, MSC03-2100
Ortega Hall Rm 129, 1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm.edu