Sceeenwriting Software--MacDV Digest #2164

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Tue May 13 00:08:03 PDT 2003

> From: "Macintosh Digital Video List" <MacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 22:27:40 -0700
> To: "Macintosh Digital Video List" <MacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Subject: MacDV Digest #2164

Screenwriting software is a tool.  It helps a writer get past the mechanics
and spend more time focusing on telling a good story, well.

As I was reading the recent responses, I was prompted to think of the first
time I got to use tools from my older brother's toolbox.  He was an auto
mechanic at the time, and had a collection with great variety.

I didn't like having to work on my car, in part because I'd always had to
use a limited selection of crappy tools... "making do" or jury-rigging
things to get the job done. Between frustration and more than a few cuts and
skinned knuckles, auto repair was not at all enjoyable.

Can't remember what the repair on my car was, but having the use of his
tools was an amazing experience.  I couldn't believe the difference it made
in getting the job done.

A lot like using DSL for the first time when previously, you'd only
experienced a modem.

Some tools helped get sockets or screwdriver bits into extremely difficult
to reach places... you know, the kind that make you alternately curse the
designer, and question what in tarnation was running through his or her mind
when they designed the thing you're trying to fix!

Having the right tool for the task made the job closer to fun for me... and
gave me an appreciation for his tool collection.

I have the same appreciation for the hardware and software that help me do
what I do, now.

As a teacher, I can tell you what a difference it makes for students to have
REAL technology to work with.

They learn the software as they learn how to use it to make whatever its
designed to make.  Like using Final Cut Pro to make videos or commercials or
long-form programs.

In essence... why would anyone put themselves through the agony of skinned
knuckles if there are tools to avoid that?

Ted.