[MacDV] Re: Did anyone else see this?

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu May 22 07:32:53 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 04:20  PM, Charles Martin wrote:

> Once Apple becomes convinced that "+" is going to actually take off as
> an accepted format (far from certain yet), I imagine it will
> incorporate the functionality into future releases of DVDSP (first)
> and perhaps iDVD later. Though acceptance for "+" is growing, I also
> hear a lot of consumer dissatisfaction with "+" as a VIDEO format,
> though it seems to have found favour as a DATA format just fine.

I get the feeling that no matter what Apple does they're going to be
some dissatisfied customers. Having a drive that can burn either format
is great for people who know the difference and know what they're
doing. OTOH, the consumer/home user who just wants to burn a DVD of
their kid's birthday party doesn't want the hassle of trying to figure
out what format works with what drives and DVD players (IMO anyway).

So add the feature and novice users have trouble, or don't add it and
have the advanced users complain. Its the bane of the software/hardware
manufacturer.

-Mike