Video is ruined

Steve Demarest stevedemarest at charter.net
Tue Nov 25 15:50:39 PST 2003

Dear List:

I updated from a Hi-8 camcorder to a Canon DV. I recorded the Hi-8 tapes
onto DV tapes. I then imported to iMOvie via Firewire. Most of the clips
came through just fine. But a number of them appear ruined. The thumbnails
are fine. But when I try to play them all I get are scrambled multicolor
pixel squares. I would hate to discard this footage of my kids.
Unfortunately I gave away the Hi-8 stuff and have recorded over the DV
tapes. The file sizes of the clips seems to be consistent with the stated
length of each clip. So I am hopeful the data is still there.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Please reply to me directly.
mailto:stevedemarest at charter.net