DVD burner or new Mac?

Norm Loomer loomern at ripon.edu
Thu Oct 2 14:27:27 PDT 2003

Here's my dilemma:

I have the original iMac DV computer, the 400 MHz Graphite Special
Edition. (That makes it, what, about four years old?) I would like to
burn DVs, both for data backup and for sharing movies. Here are my
options, as I understand them.

* Buy an external DVD burner and use Toast. The LaCie DVD-/+RW, at about
$289,  looks like a possibility. (I've also seen a lot of discussion
here about the Pioneer 105/106.) But my fundamental question is this: Is
my iMac too wimpy to burn DVDs? I realize that more horsepower is
better, but can I get by with what I have? I'm patient and am willing to
wait overnight for a burn, if necessary, but will that be enough? Will I
be able to burn a one-hour iMovie, for example?

* Buy a 1 GHz eMac with SuperDrive for $1100 (educational price). That
gives me a lot of computer at a reasonable price, but what are the
limitations of the eMac? Why would an iMac be a better choice? Is
expandability the issue?

The difference in cost of my two options is considerable--$289 vs $1100.
Cost is an issue for me--$1100 seems like a lot of money right now--but
with the first option, would I be throwing good money after bad?

Thanks for your advice.

Norm Loomer
Ripon, WI