[MacDV] on Pricing Slideshows

Tim Selander selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Tue Dec 21 19:45:29 PST 2004

I'm no businessman, but I figure you've got to at least cover your
expenses. If you're shooting for a gross income of US$100,000 (your
salary plus overhead of rent, gear, utilities, et al) and have 260
working days a year, then you need income of about $385 a day. Charging
only $150, you'd have to be able to bang out the job in like three
hours, or you're shooting yourself in the foot, financially.

If this is not your primary income, or you want to offer a loss leader
to get future business, or you live someplace lots cheaper than Tokyo,
etc., etc., then only you can calculate how much to charge. I would say,
though, that offering your services too cheaply can make the wrong
impression on potential clients -- if he's that cheap, he must not be
any good.

My 2 cents.

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan