Questions about DV components--MacDV Digest #2613

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Wed Feb 25 07:25:35 PST 2004

An eMac would be a good entry level G4 machine.  The 1GHz machines with
superdrives (Sony... burns - and + media) can be loaded up with a gig
of RAM and you're out the door for around $1,400.

I'm running 10.3.2, FCP 4 and all the included software with no
problems.  Major smiles here, as I mentioned in an earlier post.

The new iLife 4 package is a lot of fun.  After putting 10.3.2 on my
G3 iMac DVSE (500 Mhz), I gave the machine to my 89 year old father,
and was showing him what iPhoto and iMovie do. He was really excited.

He wants to scan a bunch of pictures and be able to e-mail them to
friends and relatives.

I think he'll end up using iMovie to make some still-to-video
productions.

On Feb 25, 2004, at 5:16 AM, Macintosh Digital Video List wrote:

> You may just have to come to terms with the fact that you'll need a
> new(er) system to do what you want, or you'll need a dedicated set-top
> type of DVD recorder.  I'd say an eMac or G4 iMac would be the bare
> minimum (or any G4 tower as well) -- any system that fully supports OS
> X and Quartz Extreme would be optimal for running 10.3 and a DVD
> authoring app like iDVD or Toast Titanium 6.  Just hope you can find a
> buyer that sees the collectable value in your 20th Anniversary Mac.
>
> FWIW.
>
> - Mark

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA