pixels and importing into FCP--MacDV Digest #2610

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Wed Feb 25 07:50:23 PST 2004

Not every photo is going to match the 4 x 3 width to height ratio of a
television screen... so I do things a little differently than some of
the other posters suggested. The end result is (as with their methods)
more pixels... which means you can zoom in to smaller areas without
breakup.

I generally scan with Photoshop at 300 DPI using a 6" (printed size)
dimension for the longest side of the photo. I don't worry so much
about the aspect ratio, although I do crop before scanning to improve
the composition or eliminate unwanted stuff in the picture.

That method gives me a file with enough pixels to zoom in without
having to do a bunch of math. 300 DPI also give me a file with enough
resolution for many kinds of print work or photo print out.

On Feb 23, 2004, at 5:26 AM, Macintosh Digital Video List wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:41:24 -0800
> From: Ray Statham <raystatham at shaw.ca>
> Subject: [MacDV] pixels
>
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Can anyone straighten me out with the business of square/nonsquare
> pixels? I'm doing a short project in FCP which requires me to import
> still images for zooming and panning, and I'm not sure how to handle
> it. Do I need to do anything in the scanning stage to prevent distorted
> images, or does FCP have a way of automatically dealing with this?
>
> Ray

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA
Main:  	(530) 741-1212