[MacDV] Re: HP to rebrand and sell iPods!

Peter van der Linden pvdl at afu.com
Sat Jan 10 15:02:12 PST 2004

It is hard to know where to start, you have so many ingenious but
completely wrong ideas.

On Jan 10, 2004, at 2:55 PM, Kochkodin wrote:

> IF Apple started making PCs and Macs people would have more choice of
> the platform they wish to run on

Except... Apple would be competing against itself, with twice the
overhead, and both sets of products competing for the limited amount of
developer attention.  When was the last time Ford made GM cars?

> The #1 reason I hear from young people about why they don't l
> ike Macs is the lack of any real selection of games.

How would a version of MacOS running on a PC made by Apple address this?
The ABI for MacOS is completely different to and incompatible with the
Windows API that games are written to.

> If Apple made x86 machines and the OS they could make everything work
> just like they do with Macs

If that were true, Apple could wave its magic copper wand and make it
all "just work" on the PPC, too. It's not true.

> I am against them simply porting X to x86 flat out though and Apple
> would never do that as it would kill them.

On the contrary, Apple has this working in the labs now, and keeps it
working, presumably as a Hail Mary contingency plan (same reason that
Solaris was ported to x86 back in 1993/4).