[MacDV] Re: iDVD encoding

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 20 07:16:00 PST 2004

On Tuesday, January 20, 2004, at 03:02 AM, RRSounds at aol.com wrote:

> Steve,
> I don't know about you, but when I'm encoding a DVD, I don't do
> ANYTHING else with my computer, including checking for free space.
> Call me superstitious, but as soon as I click that "Burn" button, it's
> hands-off until the disc pops out, be that 15 minutes or six hours
> later.

Me either - but encoding it and burning it can be two different steps.

> I would suspect that if iDVD is using the boot drive for a scratch
> disc, it will delete the file when the job is done, unless the
> disc-burning process fails or is aborted. Only then might we find a
> tell-tale file... though it's probably invisible. :-)

I suppose its possible that some small scratch files are created, but I
doubt that it does anything where 700 MB of free space would not be
enough. It might encode the menus on the boot disk, since it seems to
re-do them every time, even when encoding has been completed.

The original context was: "how do I make iDVD encode its data files on
the same drive as the project" - and for the movies, it does that.

SR