[MacDV] Re: Video CD

Charlie Reyes otomed at skyinet.net
Wed Mar 10 16:37:06 PST 2004

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 09:59:04 -0600 Mark M. Florida wrote

>A.Pack is an audio-only encoding app, which Apple bought for audio encoding
>for DVD SP 1.x.  ASTARTE M.Pack is a different app altogether for MPEG
>*video* encoding -- I used to use it quite a bit years ago for MPEG
>encoding.  It does a terrific job, and produces VCD compliant files for the
>old 3.x and 4.x versions of Toast quite nicely.  (ASTARTE used to produce
>both Toast and M.Pack, so the two programs work together well)

The software Apple bought was CD Copy 2.0.3e which would copy audio CD, VCDs,
It copies copy protected audio CDs to this day.

Astarte (pronounced "us-tar-teh") also issued DVD Express (Windows only)
which was so good at decoding MPEG-2 that record companies threatened to
sue. Astarte took it off their servers, but only after a few thousands were
sold. A friend downloaded the 34 MB file plue 20 MB update. It can no
longer be purchased from their german language site.

Charlie