[MacDV] External hard drive for video work

Brett Conlon brett.conlon at sonydadc.com
Wed Dec 6 17:38:30 PST 2006

I meant to thank you for this balanced email. As it turned out my Reseller
gave me an excellent deal on a 500GB FW800 case and Seagate drive so I'm
STOKED. But I'll keep my eye on the relative performance difference
between my current 120GB FW400 drive and the new drive (when it comes).

Many thanks,

Coj

Michael Winter <winter at mac.com>
Sent by: macdv-bounces at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
05/12/06 01:29 AM
Please respond to
"A place to discuss digital video on Macintosh."
<macdv at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>

"A place to discuss digital video on Macintosh."
<macdv at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [MacDV] External hard drive for video work

On Dec 3, 2006, at 9:18 PM, Brett Conlon wrote:

> What's your thoughts on the speed difference between the 400 and 800
> drive? Is it worth the extra cash outlay?

I'm not Steve, but I'll toss in my 2 cents.

Depends on what you're doing. Video capture happens in real time, so
a faster drive doesn't help. Encoding, say for a DVD, is usually
limited by how fast the rest of the computer is, not the drive.
Generally speaking, the drive speed also isn't a limiting factor when
editing. The only time I've found drive speed to be a limiting factor
is when I've copied entire projects from one drive to another -and
that doesn't happen very often.

That's all based on my (limited) experience, which does not include
any HD work.

-Mike