[MacDV] Sony Handy Cam CCD-V9

Gordon Alley gordon at gordonalley.com
Sat May 17 16:33:46 PDT 2008

If you play the first tape in your Handycam again, does it have the
white squiggly, too? If so, your Handycam heads may be dirty. Try a
head-cleaning cassette in it and see if that fixes it.
If the first tape again plays with NO white squiggly, then the problem is
apparently on the other tapes, not in your Handycam (maybe the heads on the
recording camcorder were dirty when the tapes were made). In that case, the
only solution that I can think of would be to crop the video on those tapes
to exclude the white squiggly. If you could use iMovie 8, it has a cropping
function built in (but I think it will run only on an Intel Mac). I believe
there are 3rd-party plugins for older versions of iMovie to accomplish this.

-Gordon

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Trueman H. Hight <thhight at comcast.net>
wrote:

> Neil,
>
> Thanks for the speedy reply.  I had thought of this, however, he lives in
> Budapest and no longer has the original camcorder.  I do not have access to
> an 8 mm camcorder to use as mine is DV.
>
> Trueman
>
>  If it is a tracking problem, then it's likely that the tape path of either
>> camcorder is out-of-spec. Since they don't have tracking control, could you
>> either get the original camcorder that shot the tapes and use it to play
>> back them back, or possibly try a different camcorder, to see if it can play
>> back better?

Gordon B. Alley
http://www.gordonalley.com