[MPA] Multi-tracking

Ben Wells headwerkx_lists at iprimus.com.au
Mon Jan 6 02:10:31 PST 2003

> Macs and cheap in the same sentence is an oxymoron. How about the
> Tascam US-428 USB Interface/Controller mixer, Editrol UA-700 or the
> Mini-Me USB Audio Preamp? Links to each at:

That should be "audio" and "cheap" in the same sentence, but
regardless...

I have a Tascam US428, and while it's definitely more "prosumer" than
"pro", I don't think I'd call it no-frills. Good value though,
definitely... the control surface is a big plus and the quality is
great. It's 4in/2out, the only USB interface I know of that handles
outs beyond Left and Right stereo is the Emagic 2|6. The problem is
that USB struggles to handle more than 6 audio streams at once, which
is why stuff like the Digi001 and various MAudio and Echo gear is PCI
based.

The US428 seems to be going pretty cheap in the US, and at least it has
MacOSX drivers (works great with Deck 3.5). Worth looking at.

Cheers, Ben.