[MPA] electric piano & midi files

Primrose Music primrose.music at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Jan 30 10:42:11 PST 2003

Thanks, Andy and ct, for your responses. I'll be a bit more specific
about what I'm wanting to do.

At the moment we have a Yamaha Clavinova (old one, no built-in disk
drive) with a Roland MT100 sequencer (very old, this, with smaller than
3.5inch disks), and, in another room,  an iMac with Sibelius installed
and an Imation SuperDisk Drive attached (USB).

My partner composes at the Clavinova (using the Sequencer for
playback), and  hand-writes arrangements for her singing students. I
then transfer these to Sibelius in order to get printed copies.

We're looking to replace the Clavinova and the Sequencer with a new
electric piano with built-in disk-drive, with the aim of being able to
record midi files at the piano which Sibelius can then import via the
SuperDisk Drive.

So I guess the questions are:-

1. When you record onto the disk in an electric piano's disk drive, is
what you get a midi file? (Maybe not necessarily - depends on the
piano?)

2. Should I be looking for a special sort of disk which can be written
in the piano's drive and read in the Imation SuperDisk Drive?

3. Maybe the SuperDisk Drive is not the thing and I need some other
external floppy disk drive?

Thanks for any help.

- Gilly