[MPA] Request for recommendations

Scott Jacob Loehr scott.loehr at verizon.net
Thu Jan 30 10:55:00 PST 2003

>hardware/software I need to make good quality audio files
>(narrations in my own voice)
>
>The audio tracks I have used to date are analog recordings made in a
>studio, then converted to digital (on CD's) by a local studio.

Grant,
	Greetings!  I'll echo a previous post recommending a Mackie
mixer... make sure it's got the XDR preamps.  They're GREAT!!!  They
stack up quite favorably against stand-alone preamps costing 5-6
times as much.  Plus, you get a near-indestructible mixer along with
it!

	As for microphones, for male voice-over work, my favorite
mid-priced mic is a Shure KSM-32.  You can get a new one for around
$400.  They sound fantastic on male voice, as well as being a great
instrument mic - guitars, amps, drums, piano, etc.  They come with a
shock mount.
	The Røde NT-1A is a great mic for the price... well under
$200 for a large diaphragm condenser.  They're dead quiet.
	You'll definitely need a shock mount, pop filter, and
occasionally a wind screen for voice-over work.  And a music stand.
And lots of water.  And closed-ear headphones.  My favorites are the
AKG 240 (~$90).
	I'd stay away from dynamic mics... they'll be the weakest
link in your chain.  I'll also echo the recommendation for the
Antares mic/pre modeling plug-in... but that adds validity to
spending a little more on a really good mic.  The flatter and quieter
the mic, the more successfully you can use the plug-in to emulate
other mics & preamps.  You can't make a Shure SM-57 sound anywhere
close to a Neumann....  :)
	I also like Canare cable.  Pricey, but it's some of the best
stuff out there.

Good luck!
Scott Jacob Loehr