What do you think of this 'portable' setup?

Douglas Carmichael dcarmich at mail.ourservers.net
Fri Oct 17 18:12:01 PDT 2003

I'm speccing out an audio rig to use with my PowerBook 17" revA (60GB HD, 1GB RAM) and I'm wondering if you have any comments on my proposed setup.

 Console: Yamaha 01V96 with MY16-AT 16-channel ADAT I/O card
             (in R&R ATA case)

 Rack: 12U R&R ATA shockmount rack with:
         * Furman power distribution (1U)
         * FireWire hard disk/CD-ROM (2U, who are the good makers other than Glyph?)
         * Mark of the Unicorn 828MkII 8ch audio I/O (1U)
         * (2U blank panel for expansion to 24 tracks)
         * (1U blank panel for MIDI TimePiece AV)
         * (future expansion including outboard FX, etc.)

 Software: Which software would be the most flexible for HD recording with eventual expansion to MIDI? (I want to be able to do basic recording/mixing but also want to expand to surround mixing, locking to SMPTE, etc.)

 Will I be able to mixdown to a 2-track/6-track file on disk or do I need a separate mixdown recorder?

 Would having the disks and the 828s/other interface on the same firewire bus cause a problem?

 Any comments welcome.
 --Douglas