[MV] Re: Correcting Text - Voice command

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Tue Nov 26 15:27:34 PST 2002

>Along the same lines, I was wondering if ViaVoice learns the same way
>whether you:
>
>1- Speak the  verbal command - " correct [THISWORD]" and then say "pick [x]"
>
>Or
>
>2- simply highlight the  correctable words ( with the correction window
>open) -  and then say "pick [x]"
>2a-  instead of saying the  command "pick [x]" - you simply  double click
>the favorite choice

ViaVoice will learn if you use either of the two methods.  In fact,
both are outlined within the manual.  I have just tried
double-clicking on a possible choice within the correction window.
This does have the same effect as saying "Pick x".

>After accomplishing all this learning - I'm also wondering if the entire
>issue becomes moot if, ( as in my case and a few others...),  ViaVoice voice
>center eventually says that it has enough information to update your voice
>model - and then crashes as we had discussed in previous threads?

There's a point of diminishing returns in in updating the audio
portion of a voice model.  In fact, under some conditions it can
actually degraded accuracy (regardless of what operating system is
being used).  Although I did do this occasionally when running
ViaVoice under Mac OS X version 10.1.x it has been correctly pointed
out that due to the audio problems under Jaguar it is not really a
good idea to do this--even if the crash problem can be avoided.

Instead your better off to manually saving each document and its
associated speech data.  If you have the preference set to perform
document analysis on save this will analyze word patterns within the
document.  It also commits any corrections made to the voice profile.

You can avoid the possible problem with new words been found causing
errors under Jaguar if you first open the Voice Center and click on
the middle button in the bottom row.  This opens the Setup Assistant.
You do not actually have to use this, but having it opened before you
perform a save operation that also includes saving speech data
prevents the errors that can occur if new words are found within the
document.  Once the save operation is completed (along with the
document analysis) you can close the Setup Assistant.

Routinely saving in this fashion has one other advantage, by also
saving the speech data the recorded audio is not lost should you need
to exit the program and restart it again after ViaVoice goes "deaf".
This way you will still have audio data to work with should you wish
to revise the document or make corrections in earlier dictated text.
This does mean having to go in and regularly clean off the speech
data files.  But I find this a small price to pay for increased
reliability.